Kidney Cancer Treatment
The experts at Englewood Health provide many of the same leading-edge treatments for kidney cancer you’d expect at major medical centers. In many cases, we recommend careful monitoring of your tumor instead of surgery or other therapies. Your care team works with you to decide on the most effective treatment plan based on your unique needs.
Nonsurgical Treatments for Kidney Cancer
A kidney cancer diagnosis does not necessarily mean you will need surgery to remove all or part of your kidney. Whenever appropriate, will recommend one or more nonsurgical treatments, such as:
- Active surveillance: For patients with early-stage kidney tumors (especially those who are elderly and/or with significant medical problems), we often recommend close monitoring as the only treatment. Done under the expert guidance of our kidney cancer specialists, it’s a safe option for those who are not candidates or high risk for surgery.
- Cryotherapy: This minimally invasive treatment (also called cryoablation) freezes the tumor to kill the cancer cells.
- Immunotherapy: We use immunotherapy to treat advanced kidney cancer that has spread to other areas of the body. These medications boost the body’s own immune system to fight cancer cells. Depending on your unique needs, we may recommend immunotherapy on its own or in conjunction with surgery.
Kidney Cancer Surgery
For some people, surgery to remove all or part of a kidney is the most effective treatment. If your urologist recommends surgery, we will discuss the best approach with you. In addition to expertise in open surgery for complex tumors or advanced kidney cancers, our urologic surgeons are experts in robot-assisted kidney surgeries. This less-invasive technique often leads to a shorter hospital stay, less pain, and faster recovery. Surgeries for treating kidney cancer include:
- Partial nephrectomy: Whenever possible, we remove only the tumor or part of your kidney surrounding the tumor. After surgery, your kidney will still function normally.
- Kidney removal: If your tumor is more advanced, your doctor may recommend surgery to remove your entire kidney.
Clinical Trials for Kidney Cancer
The kidney cancer experts at Englewood Health participate in many of the same national trials available at major cancer centers. This provides our patients with access to leading-edge therapies.