Hyperbaric Oxygen Therapy
Hyperbaric oxygen therapy (HBO), or hyperbaric medicine, can treat many conditions, including:
- diabetic ulcers and hard-to-heal wounds
- carbon monoxide poisoning
- skin infections
- radiation burns
- traumatic crush injuries
- air embolism
This painless procedure is often used in combination with meticulous wound care and antibiotics.
How Hyperbaric Oxygen Therapy Works
During treatment, you’ll lie on a bed enclosed in a clear chamber that is filled with oxygen. Under pressure, oxygen can:
- increase the ability of white blood cells to kill bacteria
- prevent the production of toxins
- reduce tissue swelling from poor circulation
- stimulate the growth of blood vessels
- stop the deterioration of cells
Treatment is relaxing and painless. You will experience a slight sensation of pressure, like that felt in the descent of an airplane. Each session lasts up to 90 minutes. You and your therapist can see each other and communicate through an intercom. You’ll be able to watch television or listened to the radio during treatment.
Our hyperbaric oxygen therapy program is accredited by the Undersea & Hyperbaric Medical Society. Our medical team will work closely with your referring physician to design a treatment plan tailored to meet your specific needs. Your doctor will be kept updated on your progress and receive documentation.