Kevin Yao, MD
- Neurological Surgery
I feel fortunate to be able to use my education, years of experience and most importantly, compassion, to help others. My goal is to guide and partner with each of my patients to attain the finest functional and pain-free life possible.
Specialties, Procedures &
Primary Areas of Practice
- Neurological Surgery
Other Areas of Practice
- Bloodless Medicine
- Brain Tumor Surgery
- Fluorescence-Guided Neurosurgery
- Gamma Knife Surgery
- Minimally Invasive Neurosurgery
- Spinal Fusion
- Spinal Surgery
- Spinal Tumor Surgery
- Trigeminal Neuralgia Surgery
- Acoustic Neuroma
- Anaplastic Astrocytoma
- Brain Cancer
- Brain Metastasis
- Brain Tumors
- Cavernous Malformation
- Chiari Malformation
- Degenerative Disc Disease
- Glioblastoma Multiforme
- Herniated Disc
- Pituitary Tumor
- Slipped Disc
- Spinal Metastasis
- Spinal Tumors
- Trigeminal Neuralgia
Metropolitan Neurosurgery Associates
309 Engle Street Englewood, NJ 07631Main: 201-569-7737
About Kevin Yao
Dr. Yao is board certified in neurological surgery. His main clinical interests are the neurosurgical management of primary brain and spine tumors; metastatic brain and spine disease, as well as nonmalignant tumors of the brain and spine; degenerative spinal disc disease; and trigeminal neuralgia. He has expertise in complex brain and spine tumor surgery; spinal surgery for herniated discs and stenosis; endoscopic pituitary surgery; and Gamma Knife® radiosurgery. Dr. Yao received his MD from Columbia University College of Physicians and Surgeons. He completed his neurosurgery residency at Mount Sinai Medical Center in New York City and then completed a neurosurgical oncology fellowship at the University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center in Houston. He is a fellow of the American Association of Neurological Surgeons and of the American College of Surgeons, as well as a member of the Congress of Neurological Surgeons.
Honors & Awards
- 2020-2017: Castle Connolly Top Doctors New York Metro Area
- 2020-2017: Castle Connolly Regional Top Doctor
- 2019: Jersey's Best: New Jersey's Top Doctors for Cancer
- 2019-2017: Jersey's Best Magazine Top Doctors
- 2019: Bergen Magazine Top Doctors
- 2019, 2018: (201) Magazine: Bergen's Top Doctors
- 2018, 2017: New York Magazine Top Doctors
- Fellow, American Association of Neurological Surgeons
- Fellow, American College of Surgeons
- Assistant Clinical Professor of Neurosurgery, Mount Sinai Medical Center
- Congress of Neurological Surgeons
- American College of Surgeons
- American Association of Neurological Surgeons
Committees and Leadership Positions
- Chairman, Cancer Committee, Englewood Hospital, Lefcourt Family Cancer Treatment and Wellness Center
- Internal Review Board, Englewood Hospital (ad hoc member)
- Reviewer, Neurosurgery
- Reviewer, The American Journal of Clinical Oncology
Education & Degrees
- MD: Columbia University College of Physicians and Surgeons
- Residency: Mount Sinai Medical Center
- Fellowship: University of Texas, MD Anderson Cancer Center, Neuro-Oncology
- Neurological Surgery
- Yao KC, Komata T, Kondo Y, Kondo S, Germano IM. Molecular response of human glioblastoma multiforme cells to ionizing radiation: cell cycle arrest, modulation of the expression of cyclin-dependent kinase inhibitors, and autophagy, J Neurosurg. 98(2): 378-384, 2003.
- Yao KC, Boriani S, Gokaslan Z, Sundaresan N. En bloc spondylectomy for spinal metastases: a review of thechniques. Neurosurgical Focus 15(5): E6, 2003.
- Yao KC, McGirt MJ, Constantini S, Chaichana KL, Epstein F, Jallo GI. Risk factors for progressive spinal deformity following resection of intramedullary spinal cord tumors in children: an analysis of 161 consecutive cases, J Neurosurg. 107(6): 463-468, 2007.
- Yao KC and Malek AM. Transpedicular N-butyl cyanoacrylate-mediated percutaneous embolization of symptomatic vertebral hemangiomas. Clinical article. J Neurosurg. J Neurosurg Spine. 18(5):450-5, 2013.
- Schirmer CM, Chan M, Mignano J, Duker J, Melhus CS, Williams LB, Wu JK, Yao KC. Dose De-escalation with Gamma Knife Radiosurgery in the Treatment of Choroidal Melanoma, Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys. 1; 75(1):170-6, 2009.
- Hwang SW, Abozed MM, Hale A, Eisenberg RL, Dvorak T, Yao K, Pfannl R, Mignano J, Zhu JJ, Price LL, Strauss GM, Wu JK. Adjuvant Gamma Knife radiosurgery following surgical resection of brain metastases: a 9-year retrospective cohort study. J Neurooncol. 98(1): 77-82, 2010.
- Dvorak T, Finn A, Price LL, Mignano JE, Fitzek MM, Wu JK, Yao KC. Re-treatment of trigeminal neuralgia with Gamma Knife radiosurgery: is there an appropriate cumulative dose, J Neurosurg. 111(2): 359-64, 2009.
- Miele WR, Schirmer CM, Yao KC, Heilman CB. Spontaneous resolution of a Chiari malformation Type I and syrinx after supratentorial craniotomy for excision of a cavernous malformation. J Neurosurg. 116(5):1054-9, 2012.
- Pouliot JJ, Yao KC, Robertson CA, Nash HA. Yeast Gene for Tyr-DNA phosphodiesterase that repairs topoisomerase I complexes. Science 286(5439): 552-555, 1999.
To view all of Dr. Yao’s publications, visit pubmed.gov