If you’re living with chronic heart disease or have an acute heart problem, turn to Englewood Health’s heart team. Our nationally recognized team diagnoses and treats all types of cardiovascular conditions, working with you to develop a personalized treatment plan.
Comprehensive, Personalized Care at Englewood Health
Englewood Health provides advanced care for all types of cardiovascular disease. We deliver compassionate, comprehensive care, from lifesaving emergency treatment to care for chronic health conditions.
At the Heart and Vascular Institute, we are dedicated to patient- and family-centered care for those with heart and vascular conditions through a full range of treatment options that match those provided by the most highly regarded academic medical centers in the region.Dr. Samuel Suede, Chief of Cardiology
Our Centers of Excellence
To promote overall heart health, we offer four Centers of Excellence. These comprehensive programs bring together top resources and specialists from every cardiovascular discipline to care for the range of heart and vascular conditions.
A heart arrhythmia (abnormal heart rhythm) is a problem with the timing of the electrical signals that control your heartbeat. Englewood Health provides comprehensive diagnosis and treatment for every type of arrhythmia, including atrial fibrillation (AFib).
Coronary Artery Disease
Coronary artery disease develops when cholesterol and plaque build up inside your heart’s major arteries. Englewood Health offers the most advanced treatment for coronary artery disease, including for the most complex conditions.
Structural Heart Disease
The aorta is the largest artery in your body. Our heart and vascular team provides advanced treatment options for diseases of the aorta, such as aneurysm or dissection.
Why Choose Englewood Health for Cardiovascular Care?
Englewood Health offers nationally recognized cardiovascular care. Here, you’ll find:
A Proven Leader in Heart and Vascular Health
We treat thousands of people from across New Jersey each year, and our patient volume continues to grow. No matter your heart condition, we have the experience to diagnose and treat it. Learn more about our cardiovascular care and the conditions we treat.
Advanced Technology to Treat Heart Disease and Heart Attack
We use innovative diagnostic and treatment options, such as the Watchman™ and MitraClip® devices. Our team offers the latest surgical and nonsurgical techniques, including minimally invasive procedures such as transcatheter aortic valve replacement (TAVR).
Convenient Access to Experts
We bring expertise to you, with more than 100 heart health providers in the Englewood Health Physician Network, with locations in six counties throughout northern New Jersey. Our modern facilities make maintaining your heart health as comfortable as possible.
Heart Disease Support Services
Getting a diagnosis of heart or vascular disease can feel overwhelming and stressful. At Englewood Health, our team surrounds you with resources and support to manage your health with peace of mind.
A Focus on Improvement and Quality
We use data and evidence-based medicine to help you live a longer, healthier life. Taking part in national registries and clinical trials improves patient outcomes and advances the health care field.
Our cardiology and cardiac surgery programs earn regular recognition for excellence from leading organizations. These accomplishments include:
- CareChex Patient Safety Award for Cardiac Care – Top 80 in nation; Top 10% in nation; Top 10% in NJ
- CareChex Patient Safety Award for Heart Failure Treatment – Top 10% in nation
- CareChex Patient Safety Award for Interventional Coronary Care – Top 10% in nation; Top 10% in NJ
- CareChex Patient Safety Award for Major Cardiac Surgery – Top 10% in NJ
- Healthgrades 5-Star Recipient in Carotid Procedures – Two years in a row
- Designation as High-Performing in Heart Failure by U.S. News & World Report’s “Best Hospitals”
- Vascular Lab Accreditation by the Intersocietal Accreditation Commission (IAC)
- The American Heart Association’s Mission: Lifeline® EMS Gold Plus Level Recognition Award for improving treatment and outcomes for STEMI (heart attack) patients
Cardiovascular Disease Risk Factors
Heart and vascular diseases have several risk factors — some that you can’t control, others that you can.
Ones you can’t control include:
- Gender (males are at greater risk)
- Age (the older you get, the higher your risk)
- A family history of heart disease
- Being post-menopausal
However, you can make changes in your lifestyle to reduce your risk. These controllable risk factors include:
- High LDL, or “bad” cholesterol, and low HDL, or “good” cholesterol
- Uncontrolled hypertension (high blood pressure)
- Physical inactivity
- Uncontrolled diabetes
- Uncontrolled stress and anger
Cardiovascular Disease Symptoms
Your symptoms will differ depending on what type of heart disease you have, and women often have different signs. In general, you should seek emergency care right away if you experience a combination of any of these symptoms:
- Chest pain, discomfort, tightness, or pressure
- Shortness of breath
- Fainting, lightheadedness, dizziness, or extreme fatigue
- Pain in your neck, jaw, throat, upper abdomen, or back
- Pain, numbness, weakness, coldness, or swelling in your legs, ankles, feet, arms, or hands
- Changes in your heart rhythm, such as irregular, pounding, or fluttering heartbeat