May 29, 2019 — Englewood Hospital has received the 2019 Patient Safety Excellence Award™ from Healthgrades, placing it among the top 10% of hospitals in the nation for patient safety.
“Receiving the Patient Safety Excellence Award from Healthgrades speaks to the unwavering commitment of our entire staff to ensure that our patients receive the safest and most patient-centered medical care,” says Kathleen Kaminsky, MS, RN, NE-BC, senior vice president of patient care services and chief nursing officer at Englewood Health. “Englewood Health is committed to being a leader in providing high-quality patient care with great outcomes. We focus on ensuring safety in the care we provide to continuously drive our quality improvement efforts.”
During the study period (2015 to 2017), Healthgrades 2019 Patient Safety Excellence Award recipient hospitals demonstrated excellent performance in safety provided for patients in the Medicare population, as measured by objective outcomes (risk-adjusted patient safety indicator rates) for 14 patient safety indicators defined by the Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality (AHRQ).
Healthgrades found that patients treated in hospitals receiving the Patient Safety Excellence Award were, as compared to patients at non-recipient hospitals, on average*:
- 9% less likely to experience an accidental cut, puncture, perforation, or hemorrhage during medical care.
- 9% less likely to experience a collapsed lung due to a procedure or surgery in or around the chest.
- 4% less likely to experience pressure sores or bed sores acquired in the hospital.
- 57% less likely to experience catheter-related bloodstream infections acquired at the hospital.
In addition, if all hospitals in the country performed at the level of award recipients for each of the 14 Patient Safety Indicators, 127,667 patient safety events could have been avoided.*
“Our staff are dedicated to ensuring that patients throughout our community experience exceptional care at any Englewood Health location, and we are delighted to receive this award,” adds Warren Geller, president and CEO of Englewood Health.
“We are proud to recognize the recipients of the 2019 Healthgrades Patient Safety Excellence Award, which shines a spotlight on the hospitals that are preventing the occurrence of serious, potentially avoidable complications for patients during their hospital stay,” said Brad Bowman, MD, Chief Medical Officer, Healthgrades. “We applaud these hospitals and their commitment to providing the best possible care for every patient.”
View Healthgrades hospital quality methodologies.
* Statistics are calculated from Healthgrades Patient Safety Ratings and Excellence Award methodology which is based primarily on AHRQ technical specifications (Version 5e and 2018) to MedPAR data for years 2015 through 2017 and represent 3-year estimates for Medicare patients only.