Palliative medicine, also known as supportive medicine, is available to any patient dealing with a chronic or life-threatening condition that is affecting quality of life. Our palliative care team works with patients and their family members to help reduce symptoms of a disease and treatment side effects as well as address the related psychological, social, and spiritual concerns that may arise. The team works closely with the other physicians on the team.
Englewood Health offers both inpatient palliative care and outpatient palliative care.
“Palliative medicine will help improve your quality of life by treating your symptoms as you undergo your treatment. And, it will help you better understand your condition and the available choices for care and support.”Dr. Vinnidhy Dave, Director of Palliative Medicine
Conditions and Symptoms We Treat
People of any age and at any stage of their diagnosis can benefit from palliative care. You may consider this care if you have a life-threatening or chronic health condition such as:
- Congestive heart failure (CHF)
- Liver disease
- Neurological conditions like dementia, Alzheimer’s, multiple sclerosis (MS), stroke, or Parkinson’s disease
- Advanced kidney disease
- Pulmonary conditions like chronic obstructive pulmonary disorder (COPD) or pulmonary fibrosis
Palliative medicine providers work closely with your team of physicians to help improve quality of life and manage symptoms of the condition, such as:
- Anxiety and fear
- Weight loss
- Insomnia (inability to sleep)
- Decreased appetite
- Shortness of breath
Services We Offer
In addition to helping you manage symptoms and side effects, the palliative medicine team can help provide:
- Patient and family support
- Support with spiritual, cultural, psychological, and social concerns
- Nutritional guidance
- Education and discussions about advance directives and practitioner orders for life-sustaining treatment (POLST)
- Coordination of an evaluation for hospice care, if needed
For a palliative medicine appointment or referral, call us at 201-608-2556.