Eligibility Criteria for Weight Loss Surgery
To qualify for weight loss surgery, you must meet one of the following criteria, established by the National Institutes of Health.
- Be 100 pounds or more above ideal body weight, or
- Have a body mass index (BMI) of 40 or greater, or
- Have a BMI of 35 or greater with one or more obesity-related health condition. Calculate your BMI now.
Other qualifying factors may include:
- History of documented, failed weight loss attempts
- Lifelong commitment to lifestyle changes in diet, exercise, and medical guidelines
- Psychological evaluation
Together, you and a surgeon will determine if surgery is right for you, which type of procedure is your best option, and if you are mentally and emotionally prepared to make lifelong lifestyle changes. You also will meet with a dietitian, psychologist, and other support staff members in sessions leading up to surgery. Each team member will help you prepare for the exciting changes, as well as challenges, ahead.