Junior Volunteer Program
If you are at least 14 years old and entering 9th grade, you can be a junior volunteer.
Junior volunteers fulfill many vital and important roles within the medical center. Examples include:
- Courtesy: Escort patients, deliver flowers, and run errands for various departments.
- Greeters: Welcome hospital visitors and provide information and directions, particularly in the breast care center, nursing, and registration areas.
- On Units: Aid staff and patients in medical/surgical and emergency areas.
Time Commitment and Hours
It is preferred that volunteers maintain a regular schedule. All junior volunteers are required to commit to the following work schedule:
- School Year: A minimum of 75 hours between September and the last week in June. During the school year, assignments are available throughout the week, 4 p.m. – 6 p.m. and on weekends, 10 a.m. – 3 p.m. It is required to provide two weeks’ notice of termination after the 75 hours has been reached.
- Summer: A minimum of one, 3-hour shift a week for 10 weeks between the last week in June and Labor Day. In the summer, assignments are scheduled on weekdays, 9 a.m. – 6 p.m. and on the weekends, 10 a.m. – 3 p.m.
Eligibility and Requirements
Junior volunteers must be at least 14 years old and entering 9th grade. Students in the program must have a parent’s or guardian’s permission and be recommended by their school sponsor.
Volunteering at Englewood Hospital is a very rewarding, but serious commitment. Anyone who accepts the responsibility of an assignment must make a special dedication to the welfare of patients and their loved ones, as well as to the medical center. For the volunteer program to be as strong and effective as possible, all volunteers must accept and follow certain rules and regulations. The Volunteer Department expects cooperation from every volunteer and urges all applicants to apply only if they believe they can commit themselves to meeting Englewood Hospital’s standards of excellence.
How to Apply
First, discuss the program with your parents or guardian.
Then, submit a completed application. The deadline to apply for the Summer 2020 program is February 1, 2020. The deadline to apply for the 2020-2021 School Year Program is June 15, 2020.
After receiving a completed application, a physician’s reference, and the results of a recent tuberculin test, the Volunteer Department will schedule orientation and training. Students will then be assigned their responsibilities and provided supervision.
Submit your completed application via email, fax, regular mail, or you may drop it off at the medical center:
350 Engle Street
Englewood, NJ 07631